Thank you to Yvo at It’s All About Books for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. I really like the badge and I hope it will cheer up what is turning out to be a very grey, wet and un-summery day…
- Thank the people/person who nominated you.
- Write a post featuring the award button and answering the questions from your nominator(s). They will have nominated the same number of people as questions they answered (in this case, Yvo sent me 11 questions and nominated 11 bloggers).
- Nominate the same number of bloggers the person who nominated you did and come up with the same number of new questions (so I should make up 11 new questions and nominate 11 bloggers… you’ll see I cheat a bit here).
- Let your nominees know you’ve nominated them.
My answer’s to Yvo’s questions:
1. What is your favorite read so far this year?
It’s currently a 3-way tie between A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, and Vicious and A Darker Shade of Magic both by V.E. Schwab. Click on the book titles to check out my 5-star reviews of these wonderful books.
E-copy if I’m travelling or reading in bed and the physical book would be really big and heavy. Otherwise physical copy. Often it comes down to which is cheaper/if I can get the physical copy from the library. I’d like to start listening to audio books.
3. Which five things can’t you live without when you go on vacation?
Toothbrush; toothpaste; swimsuit; suncream; e-reader packed with books.
4. Which travel destinations are high on your list if money wouldn’t be a problem?
I’d like to go back to the Maldives (our honeymoon destination) or go to Mauritius. I’d also like to go back to New Zealand and the States.
5. What is your favorite genre and book belonging to that genre?
I don’t have outright favourites and I like lots of different genres. I guess one I can say is that in the romance genre, for me, nothing outdoes Pride and Prejudice.
6. If you could have any superpower, which one would it be?
Invisibility. It would be so useful and practical too, in many situations.
7. How do you decide what you read next? Do you have a TBR jar; and if you do, do you always read the book you pick?
I don’t have a TBR jar. I build up my TBR list from recommendations and things I’ve spotted in book shops and the library. I usually pick my next book simply by what I can get my hands on, either buying it or at the library.
8. What are your thoughts on DNFing a book?
I can’t think of a book I haven’t finished. If it’s really dreadful I will skim read to the end rather than not finish.
9. Love triangles: do you enjoy them or are they a huge turn off?
This depends on how they’re done. They can be fantastic, if handled properly. If not (for example, one of the hero/heroines options is completely odious or so obviously wrong for them), then they can be tedious.
10. What genres do you normally stay away from?
I don’t stay away from any genre as part of a plan, but I don’t read much non-fiction.
11. What is your favorite supernatural creature? Why?
Probably dragons. I’m sure as soon as I post this I’ll change my mind. Why? Perhaps because they’re strong, wise and patient. And can fly and breath fire!
I’m going to cheat a bit at this point and cut the number of questions and nominees down to just 5:
- If you can’t have both, do you go for a starter or dessert?
- What advice would you give to your younger self?
- What celebrity would you like to meet and why?
- Tell us about a personal achievement you’re proud of.
- What was your favourite toy(s) when you were a child?
I nominate the following “sunshiny” blogs:
- occupation: (m)other
- The Bookish Barrister
- awayinneverland (As a Whovian, I think Nicole’s blog has one of the coolest header pics I’ve seen)
Please don’t feel you have to do this and there’s no hurry – just get round to it when you can.
Thanks again to Yvo for nominating me and here’s wishing you all lots of sunshine! 🙂